You thought the Antlion Trove Guardian would never become a boss? You were dead wrong, my friend. The Antlion Overlord is the Erebus' second boss mod, that spawns in its own dungeon; the Antlion Overlord Pyramid.
The Antlion Overlord appears as a much larger version of the Antlion Trove Guardian (around twice the size!).
It is a fearsome fighter, and will not hesitate to attack players near it. Once you are sighted, the Antlion Overlord will attack with its repertoire shown below.
The Antlion Overlord has 400 health (200 hearts) and deals damage using four different attacks, all the damage values of which are shown in the Mob Box to the right;
- Sand Throw. This attack blinds the player for two seconds and inflicts two hearts of damage on all difficulty levels. It is a ranged attack.
- Melee: A stock-standard whack. Deals damage and knockback like any other melee attack.
- Jump Slam. The Antlion Overlord leaps into the air and slams down with incredible force, dealing damage and throwing players into the air enough to cop half a heart of fall damage. It also inflicts six seconds of Slowness and Nausea. Players outside of 15-20 blocks from the Antlion Overlord are unaffected.
- Head Bash. This attack is the result of the Antlion Overlord slamming its mandibles into the ground repeatedly, dealing a steady stream of damage and knockback. Players outside of 20 blocks from the Antlion Overlord are unaffected.
- Take a Potion of Strength II with you, and either an enchanted Wasp Sword or a Diamond-tier sword from vanilla or another mod (or better!). Remember, this is 1.7.10, before Strength potions were nerfed and made practically useless. Strength II will boost your damage to 3.6x what it normally is in this version!
- If you have a Quake Hammer from a previous Antlion Overlord, use that; but not the smash attack, it's pitifully weak.
- It is advisable to use boots enchanted with Feather Falling IV or Jump Boots to negate the minor fall damage dealt by the Jump Slam. Every bit of health counts.
- Don't use a bow. Drawing the bow to fire slows you down too much; the Antlion Overlord will easily catch you. If you absolutely must use a ranged weapon, use an Augmented Scorpion Pincer with Fire Charges. You won't ignite the Overlord as it's immune to fire and lava, but you will deal damage.
- If you don't feel confident, take a few Splash Potions of Healing II.
- It is probably best to clear out the maze part of the Antlion Overlord Pyramid, retreat, restock and repair before facing this boss. Just remember to bring back the puzzle materials if you left before filling them in!
- Splash Potions of Harming II are too inventory-costly to be worth using here. Honestly, you're more likely to hit yourself with them anyway.
- If you jump at the right moment, you can avoid the damage and knockback from a Jump Slam entirely.
When killed, the Antlion Overlord will start shaking and emitting sand particles around it. After a few seconds, it will dig itself into the ground, explode into a cloud of experience and disappear, leaving behind an Antlion Egg, Soul Crystal, and a Quake Hammer. Congratulations! You have defeated the second boss of the Erebus! Hopefully this guide helped you out!
- The Antlion Overlord's first appearance was in the 0.2a update of the Erebus.