Flies are aesthetic mobs, much like Bats in vanilla Minecraft. They fly about, serving completely no purpose other than being possibly annoying and very rarely giving a Fly Wing or Compound Eyes. Flies can be found in all biomes.
- The model was made by SuperRutabaga, and was given wing animations in 0.1.
- The model was the second one ever made for the Erebus.
- Since it uses the same sound as a Botfly, a Fly can often scare you.
The Botfly is a very annoying mob. It has the capability of flight, making it far superior to most hostile mobs in terms of mobility. It is easy to tackle on its own, but can make a difference when encountering a pack of mobs. Botflies can be found in all biomes bar Fungal Forests and Submerged Swamps, and will relentlessly pursue targets within a ~24 block radius (this means they can be found in those biomes, but they do not spawn there).
They inflict minimal damage, but carry an approximately 1 in 8 chance of spawning a Botfly Larva on a successful attack.
Botflies have a rare chance of spawning with the name "Butt Fly". This is a purely humorous addition.
The Botfly Larva is an invincible mob that is attached to you on occasion by a Botfly attack. These nasty little larvae cannot be removed except by death or by drinking Beetle Juice. Drinking Beetle Juice will kill the Botfly Larva and it will drop a Slimeball.
It is best to remove Botfly Larvae quickly, as a Botfly can stack up to 3 on a player, with each larva inflicting Hunger, Weakness and Mining Fatigue for 6 seconds at random intervals.
Currently, there are a few annoying bugs with this creature. You are not able to use portals while it is on you, and when you die and return to the Erebus, it returns as well for some reason.
- The model was made by Dave (Vadis365),
- Their spawning was reduced in 0.1.1 because they annoyed Dylan way too much. Not even he is able to manage such creatures.
Dragonflies in the Erebus are distant cousins of the Fly and Botfly. Instead of the traditional means of attack for most mobs, Dragonflies pick up and carry the player around, inflicting half a heart of damage per second. After a short time, they let go, resulting in players without suitable fall damage protection dying more often than not.
They can be found spawning from Dragonfly Lilypads.
- Dragonflies have an exceptionally rare (~1/100, perhaps lower) chance of spawning with the name "Ender Dragonfly", which renders the Dragonfly black and makes it emit Ender particles continuously. Catching one with a Wand of Preservation is almost more of a challenge than defeating the actual Enderdragon, and certainly more time-consuming.
- Wands of Preservation will preserve the name with the Dragonfly, allowing you to specifically catch Ender Dragonflies.
- Ender Dragonflies always drop 1-2 Ender Pearls.
- You cannot use Name Tags on a suitably captive Dragonfly to obtain an Ender Dragonfly.